Wednesday, June 28, 2006
The Prodigal Project Book II: Exodus (Ken Abraham & Daniel Hart)
Let's get it out of the way- I have to force myself to read this novel, the second instalment of Abraham and Hart's Prodigal Project series and I held very little hope that it would improve at all. Not to mention that if his style of writing continues into the remaining five books then this entire series could have been condensed into one single two hundred or so volume.
The beginning didn't bode well for the rest of the book, nothing more than a rehash of previous events and sermon, which had been repeated unnecessarily more times than I'd like to count in the first two hundred pages of Book One. Every fifty pages could be turned into one and his point would still be pushed sufficiently to proceed. The question is, what is the point?
I stick firmly by my opinion that Abraham and Hart are crazy, Bush loving Republicans- the sort that would have changed 'French' fries into 'freedom' fries because of their objection to an entire nation (yet I have to wonder, if they hated the French that much then why not just remove the object of objection (the 'fry') rather than rename it?). They even have some more than obvious PC attacks on homosexuals, pushing the notion that this is a 'two sex world' and one goes with the other- even adding the obligatory new romance which is enough to bug me further.
The only thing of consequence to happen in the beginning was Thomas Church's miraculous (and thoroughly ridiculous) discovery of his son. This is the only incidence in when I think it would have been appropriate to add a few more pages to a scene.
Around ninety percent of this book is a reiteration of everything that is said in the first instalment, and other than the confirmation that no, Noir cannot be killed, the fiery hail and one hint towards something sinister in Azul (which we already knew), nothing- and I mean nothing- of any consequence happens and this entire book could have been edited out.
I doubt that I will read the next instalments- even though I could probably skip three and five without missing anything, because this is nothing more than a repetitive, Republican piece of propaganda. I do not recommend it.

Labels: