Wednesday, June 28, 2006
Dark Rivers of the Heart (Dean Koontz)
The story begins at a bar, a man with a secret falling instantly in love with a woman he has never met before. You would think that this would be a turn off for me, as you know that I lack the romantic soul that believes in love at first site (you know what, that is the first time that I have admitted that. I guess a part of me wanted to believe because of Mr. Misty, but I never really did love him). Despite this affliction I kept reading- it is Dean Koontz after all. This infatuation leads him into a world of political subterfuge, a race for his life, and the revelation of his secrets. Amazingly it takes about half of the book for him to meet up with the woman again, after an amazingly dull car chase.
For me the most interesting parts came when following the mindset of Roy, the books crazy man. It becomes deeply disturbing because even though you know that he is made up, that this man is totally nuts, there probably is someone out there like that. Not to mention the fact that though his ideas were completely out of this world crazy, some of his ideas struck a cord- I quite like the idea of a future where everyone wears the same clothes.
Once again Koontz masterfully describes his scenes, the catacombs are easy, and disturbing, to picture- I’m just not a fan of car chases. And I can’t imagine masturbating more over three hours; five minutes will do me.
I enjoyed the book; I enjoyed the Ira Levin type ending. I could have done without the love story- but that is just me.

21 Read, 31 To Go

Labels: